From Roman times to the present - the more than 2000 year history of Kastel.

Museum Castellum

The foundation of the once-greatest Roman triumphal arch north of the Alps.

Roman Triumphal Arch

The profession of the raftsman was practiced in Kastel for over 400 years.

Raftsman Room

The Archbishop of Mainz and Elector Berthold von Henneberg built the Watchtower in 1497.

Watchtower

In 1983 the Kastel Local History Society (GHK) conceived the idea of preserving and making more accessible Kastel’s 2000-year history for the current generation as well as for coming generations. It laid the groundwork for creating a “Historical Kastel Room” in the Reduit, which was dedicated on July 7, 1984.
 
The resonance was remarkable. Ever more archeological finds from Kastel came to light and were added to the collection. Soon the room could no longer contain the collection, and the way was made free for the “Castellum Museum.”

With a small circle of volunteer workers and financial support from the two state capitals, Mainz and Wiesbaden, and from many firms and citizens, it was possible to turn the plans into reality. On May 19, 1990, as part of the celebration of Kastel’s 2000th anniversary and in the presence of over 1,200 guests, the museum was inaugurated within the historic walls of the Reduit, which dates from 1832.
 
Today the Society presents a multitude of exhibits in the various rooms of the Reduit, beginning with uniforms and models of historic sites and structures and extending to historical relics such as military artifacts and everyday objects.

Opening hours

Sun 10:30 hrs. to 12:30 hrs.
 
Guided tours are possible
by arrangement any time.
 
Admission: free of charge

Opening hours

We will have a winter break and will be back for you from April!

Sun 10:30 hrs. to 12:30 hrs.
 
Guided tours are possible
by arrangement any time.
 
Admission: free of charge

Contact

Museum Castellum

Reduit / Kasteler Museumsufer
55252 Mainz-Kastel